Mitigating the impacts of global change on ecosystems requires a mechanistic understanding of the processes underlying patterns of biodiversity. The Beckman Lab investigates interactions between plants and their environment occurring over multiple scales and examines the role of these interactions in limiting plant populations and maintaining biodiversity. Many of these interactions are disrupted by global change, and we examine the consequences of these disruptions for plant communities and ecosystem functions. We use a combination of empirical and quantitative approaches to address our research questions. Our aim is to conduct transdisciplinary and actionable research that contributes to solutions of socio-environmental problems.
I'm recruiting PhD students for my research group at Utah State University! Find out more.
- October 19-21 Session on 'The Long Journey Home: Ecology and Evolution in the City' organized by Drs. Beckman, Warwick & Adler at the SACNAS National Conference
- September 26-29 Workshop on 'Cross-Disciplinary Statistical Applications in the Anthropocene' organized by Drs. Trisos, Beckman, & Maher supported by SESYNC
- August 6-11 Session on 'Consequences of Individual Variation in Dispersal for Recruitment, Populations, and Communities' organized by Drs. Beckman, Snell, Loiselle, Fricke & Schupp at the Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting
- July 17-20 Minisymposia 'Confronting Biological Models with Data: Dealing with Complexity and Sparsity I & II' organized by Drs. Beckman & Schugart at the Society for Mathematical Biology Annual Meeting
- July 3 Paper led by Dr. Tiansawat published in Biotropica on the effects of pre-dispersal seed predators and fungi on fruit and seeds of Luehea seemannii in Panama
- July 1 Dr. Beckman joins the Biology Department and Ecology Center at Utah State University
- April 27 Dr. Beckman presents "The Journey of a Seed in a Changing World" at Cafe Scientifique in Annapolis
- April 21-23 Earth Optimism Summit and Make for the Planet Competition
- Feb. 28 Dr. Beckman presents SESYNC Seminar
- Feb. 1-4 Phylogenetic and Functional Trait Analyses for Ecology in R at SESYNC
- Jan. 30-31 Immersion Distinguished Scholar Workshop: Behavioral Economics at SESYNC
- Dec. 14-16 Environmental Policy Immersion Program at SESYNC
- Nov. 14-18 Dr. Beckman will be presenting in the workshop, Population Models in the 21st Century at the Mathematical Biosciences Institute
- Nov. 7 Dr. Beckman presenting Seed Dispersal Under Global Change in the Biology Seminar at University of Central Florida
- Oct. 31 Dr. Beckman presenting Seed Dispersal Under Global Change in the Behavior, Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics Seminar at University of Maryland
- Oct. 13-15 Dr. Beckman is presenting at The National Diversity in STEM Conference, SACNAS.
- Sept. 18-23 Dr. Beckman will be participating in the BIRS workshop, Integrodifference Equations in Ecology: 30 years and counting.
- Contact us before Sept. 13 if interested. Call for speakers for #ESA2017 in Portland! We are proposing an Organized Oral Session on variation in dispersal.
- Aug. 7-12 Dr. Beckman presents SESYNC research on dispersal and life history strategies at the Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America.
- July 19-22 Short Course: Teaching Socio-Environmental Synthesis with Case Studies
- June 19-23 Dr. Beckman presents on "Spatial patterns of seed predation by a specialized invertebrate" at Annual Meeting of the Association of Tropical Biology and Conservation.
- May 9-13 Seed Dispersal Workshop at SESYNC
- April 12-15 Immersion Distinguished Scholar Workshop: Change in Socio-Environmental Systems at SESYNC
- March 17-18 Dr. Beckman is a short-term visitor at NIMBioS
- Feb. 29 - March 3 Immersion Distinguished Scholar Workshop: Antropology at SESYNC
- Jan. 25th Deadline. Seeking early career scientists for a seed dispersal workshop at SESYNC. Read more
- Jan. 11-14 Immersion Distinguished Scholar Workshop: Sociology at SESYNC
- Dec. 13-16 Dr. Beckman presents collaborative work with Drs. Dybzinski and Tilman at British Ecological Society Annual Meeting
- Dec. 4 Dr. Beckman presents in Applied Mathematics Colloquium at University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- Nov. 27 Dr. Beckman's research on seed dispersal featured on Friday's episode of Yale Climate Connections.
- Nov. 13 Dr. Beckman presents Biology Seminar at Washington and Lee University
- Nov. 2-4 Immersion Distinguished Scholar Workshop: Economics at SESYNC
- Oct. 28-31 Beckman participates in Automated Forest Restoration workshop hosted by Forest Restoration Research Unit in Chiang Mai
- Oct. 26 Dr. Beckman presents Environmental Science Seminar at Chiang Mai University
- Aug. 31- Sept. 3 Immersion Distinguished Scholar Workshop: Ecology at SESYNC
- August. 19-28 Short course in Bayesian Modeling for Socio-Environmental Data at SESYNC
- July 1 Dr. Beckman starts a postdoc at SESYNC
Communication and Outreach
"Verde Elemental es una publicación digital de análisis y divulgación de investigación en ecología y ambiente en y para Latinoamérica. Dirigida por Carol Garzón López..."
An International Cooperative for Seed Dispersal Ecology under Global Change